The Faculty of Law
The Faculty of Law is one of the oldest institutions of the University of Zagreb. The Faculty traditions are related to the beginning of higher education in Croatia. When in 1773 Pope Clement XIV had dissolved the Jesuit order, Queen Maria Theresa undertook comprehensive reforms in the system of education and by her decree of 1776, the Royal Academy of Sciences (Regia scientiarum) was established as the highest educational institution. At the first formal session held on October 11, 1776 it was determined that the academic year would start on November 4, 1776 and therefore this date is regarded as the day of establishing the Faculty of Law. Through the efforts of Bishop Strossmayer during the period of Ban Ivan Mažuranić, the Royal The current name of the Faculty of Law came into official use in 1926.
With the fall of absolutism, the Croatian language became the only teaching language. The Library of the Faculty of Law is particularly valuable for scientific research. The Library of the Academy of Legal Science contained about 22,000 holdings in 1874. Today it consists of almost 200,000 holdings which cover all fields of law, including numerous rarities, and in terms of their number, variety and quality it is among the best law libraries in this part of Europe. In its third century of existence, the Faculty of Law in Zagreb has proved to be the source of Croatian nation-building spirit and free thought, the guardian of the Croatian culture and the representative of the Croatian legal school as one of the centres of the Mid-European legal tradition, and as such it is distinguished in the country and abroad. They greatly contribute to the creation of the Croatian legal system, establishment of the rule of law and education of new generations of lawyers on the best European legal traditions.